japan quake (Weather)

by dan, Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 19:15 (2276 days ago)

They're calling it a 6.2.

Itas right off the Coast near us so we felt it pretty strongly -

It's 10 below so it would suck if we lost electricity ! I'm using my phone to write so all for now ~ Expecting more shakes

japan quake

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, January 26, 2018, 07:33 (2274 days ago) @ dan

They're calling it a 6.2.

Itas right off the Coast near us so we felt it pretty strongly -

It's 10 below so it would suck if we lost electricity ! I'm using my phone to write so all for now ~ Expecting more shakes

6.2! That's a whole lot of earth moving

How close exactly? Things coming off the shelves level?

japan quake

by dan, Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:44 (2274 days ago) @ dulan drift

Doesn't sound like it. I was in the shower,so by that measure, which is new to me, I would have graded it a a mid 3. People who have lived here for the past few years said it was big, but it wasn't.

I've been through 2 quakes I'd describe as big, as in possibly life threatening. The first was the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake. I was living in San Francisco. The only other earthquake during which I thought I might die was one in the mountains of Taichung County, in 1996 or something. It was only a 6.7, but it was right under us. When a quake is bad, fuck that 'get under a table' bullshit. Getting out of of the fucking building is the first thing that comes to mind, as it should.

The thing about that Taichung quake is that nobody heard anything about it. It was a non event. But we were cut off in the mountains for a couple days (pre internet, for the most part). Helicopters came to take injured out. I think a couple people died. But it was a very remote place. Point is, these huge quakes happen often, but they only seem to make news when they threaten important folk.

japan quake

by dan, Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:46 (2274 days ago) @ dan

That Taichung County village was Ruili.

japan quake

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, January 26, 2018, 19:58 (2274 days ago) @ dan

" It was only a 6.7, but it was right under us."

Only a 6.7! Hell, and right under you!

We had 'only a 5.3' right under us and that was frightening enough - 6.7 is a whole new level of terror

Another quake just south of Green Island today - a 4.1 but way deep and didn't feel it - do get the feeling something is brewing though - but to be fair, I always get that with earthquakes

japan quake

by dan, Friday, January 26, 2018, 20:11 (2274 days ago) @ dulan drift

My experience has been that anything 6.5 or above is the real threat level. That's when things start falling down on a large enough scale to be worried about.

RSS Feed of thread