Earthquake upsurge Taidong (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 08:09 (2278 days ago)

5 earthquakes in Taidong in the last 24 hours makes it a pretty dramatic start to 2018. Four of those were in the same location, which seems a bit unusual. It's normal that they would be clustered together but these are coming from exactly the same spot, just north of Taidong city - right where Miramar hotel is in fact

Interestingly, in the days before there had been a period of slow internet connection, and I've wondered if there could be some co-relation as I've noticed this on previous occasions

Biggest of the quakes so far is 4.3 and they've all been shallow - so they do get your attention. However, the 4.3, the most recent one a few hours ago, didn't feel like the biggest - it was slightly deeper - there was a 4.1 an hour before that at 3 am that felt bigger and another 4.1 that began the sequence at 11.20 am on Jan 1 that also felt big. The depth has been shallow ranging from 9-15km

It's a bit unnerving in light of the experience just over a year ago where an upsurge in earthquakes culminated in a 5.3 right here and caused significant local damage and put everyone on edge

[image]

Earthquake upsurge Taidong

by dan, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 08:29 (2277 days ago) @ dulan drift

Meanwhile, here in Japan, I haven't felt as much as a jiggle since we arrived just over a month ago. Given that this area was hit pretty badly by the 2011 tsunami, I don't mind if they stay down there. We're near the Port of Hachinohe, which was one of the hardest hit areas.

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 16:24 (2277 days ago) @ dan

Aha, so finally I know where you are!

Talk about 'climate change' must be very different to Florida up there

Interestingly, it's currently a super moon with the moon 50 000 kms closer to earth than it is when it's at it's furtherest point

(Cool - quake happened just now as I was writing! Small one)

One school of thought says that this can induce earthquakes as the extra volume of water rolling up and back with the tide can be enough to set off a fault line that was already close to failing

Doesn't explain why it's only happening here, but I seem to remember last year's quake coincided with a full moon also

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:46 (2276 days ago) @ dan

Activity has tapered off somewhat and I'm taking that as a good sign. Just had another tremor 10 minutes ago but not at that heart pumping level of the sequence on new year's day

CWB seems to have failed to detect quite a few quakes in the sequence - including the last two - they are the smaller ones but still quite noticeable - it would be good to know where they are located

Of course total radio silence from all the academic experts in Taiwan about what it might mean - my guess is that we're at the end of the cycle for this episode - though expect it might fire up again in a few weeks time

Took this photo last night - the elongated horizontal cloud running across the picture is what an earthquake cloud is meant to look like - not sure if it is one or not. The clouds are to the north east of my place

Edit: CWB did eventually post the recent quake - a 4M but much deeper at 47k

It's curious how they are all happening in the exact same spot - would have expected some scattering pattern as pressure moves along the fault but that's not happening

[image]

RSS Feed of thread