Typhoon Aere (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, October 07, 2016, 18:18 (2758 days ago)

This is turning into the little typhoon that could. The actual storm is tiny, and it's already passed Taiwan, but it's got this tail thing happening that's causing major havoc on the east coast of Taiwan. Somehow this small typhoon has organized this massive stream of rain into its orbit it's all feeding directly into the east coast of Taiwan.

400 mil already for Dong He and no sense that it's anywhere near over. In fact Aere is predicted to stall in its current location and as such this could go on for several more days.

Already we have:

Section of road collapsed into the sea just south of Dulan

Several Landslides between Dulan and Taidong city including at both the recently green-lighted mega-resort development sites - which, despite evidence presented by protesters showing those sites were extremely prone to landslides, were 'assessed' by the Land Consevation Department and given the thumbs up. That's criminal greed that is destined to cost lives if either of those resorts are ever built.

[image]

Typhoon Aere

by dan, Friday, October 07, 2016, 20:56 (2758 days ago) @ dulan drift

And it's certainly raining here in Kaohsiung. And I saw this yesterday at the university. I'm guessing this is from Megi. (Meanwhile, Hurricane Mathew is pounding Florida. Hope we have a house left.)

[image]

[image]

Typhoon Aere

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, October 07, 2016, 22:16 (2758 days ago) @ dan

So you're back on the island! Coming over for a visit?

There's been a lull for the last few hours, but looks like it's ready to crank right back up again. We're over 400 mil in the Dong He area - that's already the biggest rain i've experienced here and looks to be plenty more where that came from.

To be honest, i'm a bit nervous about what tonight is gonna bring. There haven't been any calls to evacuate, but there probably should be.

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/radar/Data/HD_Radar/CV1_3600_201610072200.png

Typhoon Aere

by dan, Sunday, October 09, 2016, 15:15 (2757 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yeah back briefly but working every day so may not make it over there this time. We'll be back in a few short months and will try to get over then.

Still raining here.

RSS Feed of thread