Typhoon Meranti (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 22:25 (2757 days ago)

Seems silly to say, considering we took a direct hit from a cat 5, but it's actually been a pretty quiet typhoon season - only one other, Lionrock, that i can think of that has even formed. But something has just popped up and CWB are currently forecasting it to make landfall in Taidong county as soon as Wednesday!

Surely we couldn't be so unlucky to get a direct hit from 2 out of a total of only three typhoons for the season.

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, September 11, 2016, 09:51 (2757 days ago) @ dulan drift

The model tracks have started to come in - and the news is bad. Several tracks are forecasing another direct hit on Taidong. I've literally just finished repairing the damage from the last typhoon having got a back hoe in to put the fences back up replaced the roof guttering last week - i couldn't deal with another round of that - neither can my wallet!

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dan, Sunday, September 11, 2016, 22:49 (2756 days ago) @ dulan drift

That is not looking good. Maybe you can take comfort in the fact that the models are almost always off as the storm arrives.

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, September 12, 2016, 09:50 (2756 days ago) @ dan

If this one doesn't get us, then it looks like there's another queued up behind it

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dan, Monday, September 12, 2016, 19:40 (2755 days ago) @ dulan drift

Meranti is shaping up to be quite a monster. When we used to drive through the central mountains we noticed that locals would strategically place earth movers every few miles due to the frequent landslides. Maybe you should have just ask that they leave the backhoe nearby!
EDIT: It's looking more like it's going to head south of you.

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 17:52 (2754 days ago) @ dan

Well, all the preps done, or as much as i could get done, and now it's bunker down time and have a stiff drink and hope for the best.

Although the eye is on track to just miss the south coast, it's packing 160kt winds - that's close to 300kph! As it's to the south of us, and the biggest winds are in the north west quadrant, i am still expecting some wild gusts - hopefully it sticks to the plan and it's not one big 5-hour-long-wild-wrecking-ball gust like we got last time.

There's a chance it could still end up further north than predicted, and if it does hit land, they always seem to make some unpredicted lurch along the coast as they find a path across the island. Also i suspect we will get much more rain from this typhoon - maybe even landslide level, and typhoon rain is a whole kind of other mortal danger.

Needless to say, the last thing Taidong needs is another major typhoon. Driving around Taidong city yesterday i noticed there's a stack of construction material lying about as people rebuild from Typhoon Nepartack, as well as a lot of sheet metal debris from stuff that still hasn't been cleaned up. All of that is going to start hurtling around the streets of Taidong late tonight.

[image]

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, September 13, 2016, 18:42 (2754 days ago) @ dulan drift

The radar image shows a very healthy poleward outflow - and it's a similar size and path to typhoon Megi in 2010 that sent two buses off the cliffs of the Su Hwa Highway. I'd say torrential rain for the whole east coast - and it may even be that Ilan is one of the worst affected.

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 06:27 (2754 days ago) @ dulan drift

It's the height of the storm right now. Blew pretty hard all night but kicked up a level just on day-break. Thankfully, it has held its line and appears to be passing just off the southern tip of Taiwan but it's still a wild storm outside - Kending will be really pumping.

Got light as the sun came up, then 30 minutes later it looked as if we had gone into reverse and it started getting almost dark again - winds dropped off quite a lot but it's started bucketing down

From the radar you can see it's an almost perfectly formed storm.

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dan, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 07:49 (2754 days ago) @ dulan drift

Nice to hear you haven't gotten hit so hard this time. If this storm makes it past Taiwan without losing steam like it usually does over the mountains, it looks like China is going to get hammered.

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 08:26 (2754 days ago) @ dan

I notice one track now has it going due north from it's current location just south of Kenting - probably not likely but that would almost be a worst case rain scenario for here.

JTWC has it with sustained winds of 165 kts! And gusts up to 200kts - 370 kph! That's insane.

And yeah, if it does make it through to China, it's gonna be massive destruction there

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 10:08 (2753 days ago) @ dulan drift

Rain falling at 100 mil per hour in Pindong in last few hours. They are up to 470 mil for today.

Relatively ok here.

Typhoon has crept further north than forecast - if it decides to stall than Pingdong will be a total disaster area. Already there must be incredible destruction from the wind in the most southern towns.

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 10:16 (2753 days ago) @ dulan drift

You can see that the eye on the radar is a good 70 km north of where it was predicted to be by JTWC. Even CWB was a bit off the mark. Looks like it may hug the south coast line as it head north west

[image]

[image]

Typhoon Meranti

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, September 14, 2016, 16:51 (2753 days ago) @ dan

From Kaohsiung

[image]

RSS Feed of thread