Dan's Low (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, September 01, 2016, 22:24 (2766 days ago)

So called coz i remember you telling me about this low that would form off the south coast of Pingdong and just sit there for a week or more. Have since seen it crop up nearly every year, and i think about this time.

But considering you're the expert, i was wondering if you could verify it?

Hasn't dropped any rain on land at this point, supposedly, but should be just a matter of time. Looks like it could pack a decent wallop when it does.

(Edit: just checked and it has started raining in PD in the last 30 mins - and heavily)

[image]

Dan's Low

by dan, Friday, September 02, 2016, 02:10 (2766 days ago) @ dulan drift

Does indeed look like it. It can form any time between May and Oct, but usually does so between July and, well, now I guess.

In the meantime, we have a bit of a storm coming onshore here in Florida. I hear the thunder in the distance now. Apparently tornadoes are a big threat with tropical storms and hurricanes here (and why are they hurricanes in the western hemisphere but typhoons in the east?).

[image]

Dan's Low

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, September 02, 2016, 07:52 (2766 days ago) @ dan

So has that sprung up in the Gulf? Looks reasonably close to you. I've never heard of a tornado in Florida - is that possible?

Hurricane comes from the Spanish and typhoon comes from tai fong, i assume. Not sure why they weren't able to come up with an English word.

Dan's Low

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, September 02, 2016, 20:44 (2765 days ago) @ dulan drift

300+ mil for Pingdong today, and 84 mil in the last hour for Kaohsiung so the rain has been 'as advertised' so far. Looks like there could be still a lot more to come as well.

[image]

Dan's Low

by dan, Friday, September 02, 2016, 22:49 (2765 days ago) @ dulan drift

Typhoon, yes, I knew that one in hindsight, but I did not know hurricane had Spanish roots, but it makes sense. But what about cyclone then, smartie pants! (I know I could Google it, but I'm lazy.)

Yes, that Kao-ping system looks like the standard summer soaker. One year we got over 2,000 mils out of a system like that in about 7 days. I soaked the ground so bad that river banks just started collapsing and trees just fell over.

Dan's Low

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, September 03, 2016, 08:36 (2765 days ago) @ dan

'Cyclone' is the Australian term coz they were too lazy to think up anything else - it just means any weather system that rotates. I wonder what the Aborigines called them.

Some places ended up with 330 mil yesterday - that's typhoon level of rain - literally without (CWB) warning.

How's your hurricane going?

Dan's Low

by dan, Sunday, September 04, 2016, 08:26 (2764 days ago) @ dulan drift

See, now, you really do learn something new every day.

Our little hurricane was a pleasant storm. Very well behaved, polite like. Downright civil. It came, gave us about 120mm of rain, a good light show, brought the temps down, then left. No downed trees, no damage, just a little break in the summer weather monotony.

So far, as weather goes, Florida is like Taiwan Light. As far as bugs go... man... nothing like it. I'm working on my own bug repellent and will have it out by this time next year. There's a bush that grows in this area, American Beauty Berry, and the leaves are a natural repellent. I'm going to make tincture. I don't want to take a bath in DEET every day. See https://plants.usda.gov/factsheet/pdf/fs_caam2.pdf and https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/07/060703091932.htm .

Here's another tincture I'm working on -- Sweetgum Tree. It has the ingredients for Tamiflu. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26009686

All in all this is an OK climate. Weather comes from all directions all the time, or at least everywhere but from north.

Dan's Low

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, September 04, 2016, 18:38 (2763 days ago) @ dan

Cool plants! I think you have finally found your calling in life Dan! A tincturist!

Let me know when you are ready to export to Taiwan!

Dan's Low

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, September 06, 2016, 20:00 (2761 days ago) @ dulan drift

Tainan's turn today - pushing 300 there - basically still churning up from that same rain factory to the south. Parts of Pingdong would be over 500 for four days.

Here it's cloudy and bloody humid, but hardly any rain

[image]

RSS Feed of thread