Typhoon Lionrock (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, August 27, 2016, 08:33 (2798 days ago)

It's not going to impact Taiwan, but it's another strange storm in a year of strange weather. Not sure if this is a result of the el nino or global warming, but several storms this year have formed well north of the usual germinating zone.

As the track shows, this one started east north east of northern Taiwan, travelled north, came back down south, and is now heading north again. When you look at the track as is, it seems to be the exact opposite of what a normal track looks like.

Furthermore, instead of continuing on the usual recurve path north-east, it's meant to make another turn to the west and make landfall in Japan.

[image]

Typhoon Lionrock

by dan, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 21:23 (2797 days ago) @ dulan drift

What a bizarre storm. I thought it was going to peter out but it's reintensified and now it looks like Japan is going to take a direct hit. They probably haven't been hit by anything like this in years.

[image]

Typhoon Lionrock

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, August 28, 2016, 21:37 (2797 days ago) @ dan

Yeah, weird. Pretty sure i haven't seen a track quite like this one before. I was talking to a Japanese woman recently and she said it's nearly always the case with a typhoon alert that it ends up fizzling out just before it reaches Japan - but this one might be different. It's not massive compared to Nepartak, but should get their attention, none-the-less.

Getting a nice little tendril of rain from Lionrock feeding directly into Taidong tonight - very welcome. And a great lightning show.

[image]

RSS Feed of thread