Big Earthquake (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 08:57 (2995 days ago)

Just before 4am a 6.4 quake struck near Tainan. Apartments have collapsed and there are sure to be casualties.
Woke me up even here on the east coast and was 'get out of bed' level so must have been frightening near the centre.
I see there was actually a bigger quake of 6.8 before it but nearly 300k underground - I assume that was the one that set off the 6.4 which was much closer to the surface.
Another cold snap hitting Taiwan and I've heard that the two events may be connected, though don't know if that is supported scientifically speaking. Though we have had record heat and then record cold, so if there's anything in that theory then this would be the year.

Big Earthquake

by dan, Saturday, February 06, 2016, 09:16 (2995 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yeah I've been reading about that. At first when I saw the 6.4 number on the CWB site, I thought, well, that's big, but nothing too unusual. Apparently the depth and location made a difference. I suppose it might be scientifically difficult to prove any connection between atmosphere and earthquakes, but it's intuitively attractive. I can see ocean variances in temperature and currents perhaps playing a role as well. It is one big system, after all.

RSS Feed of thread