December Tornado (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, December 25, 2015, 06:42 (3038 days ago)

Would seem very late for a tornado. Is that normal?

[image]

December Tornado

by dan, Friday, December 25, 2015, 09:16 (3038 days ago) @ dulan drift

No, not normal at all. Isolated storms and a rare winter tornado are not unheard of, but this is not normal. We didn't get any of it, but the temperatures here have been 12-15F over normal, with night time temperatures way above average. I was hoping to get some use out of our fireplace this winter, but we've only used it a couple times so far. Still sleeping with the windows open! It hit 29C today.

December Tornado

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, December 25, 2015, 15:51 (3038 days ago) @ dan

Yeah, it's off the charts here as well. I see it was 30C in Taipei a couple of days ago - that was a record as far as i can gather and almost 10C above the ave high for Dec.

Meanwhile in Australia, it's shaping up as a horror fire season with temps hitting 44C in the south - also records for Dec - and several bushfires already - the height of the bushfire season is not until mid-Jan thru Feb.

I doubt the planet has seen such widespread extreme weather like this in a very long time.

PS. My sister just sent me these photos from where she's living in southern Victoria, Australia. She has just been evacuated!

[image]

[image]

December Tornado

by dan, Saturday, December 26, 2015, 05:40 (3037 days ago) @ dulan drift

I read this morning that it hit 71F in I believe Quebec, or somewhere up there, yesterday, and it was 60+F in NYC at midnight.

Beautiful pictures. The fires are impressive, but those beaches look absolutely fantastic.

December Tornado

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, December 26, 2015, 07:36 (3037 days ago) @ dan

Yeah, they are waiting to get back in to see if they still have a house. It didn't look good last night. Reports are that 63 houses have been lost in that area.

December Tornado

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, December 26, 2015, 21:22 (3036 days ago) @ dan

That's a lot of broken records! The weird thing is that it seems to have been record hot conditions across the whole planet - in both hemispheres.

153 homes were destroyed by the fire in my sister's town alone - there would only be about 300 houses in the whole town so it was quite devastating. She hasn't been able to get back in and said information is very hard to get but the reports are that the houses on her street were spared - at this stage.

Bushfires are like typhoons that are on fire and very much weather events as they are triggered by 40C days and roaring, dry north winds.

[image]

December Tornado

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, December 27, 2015, 22:28 (3035 days ago) @ dulan drift

It's really been a wild week of extreme weather with big floods in South Anerica and the UK.

There also seems to have been a major wildfire in California. That seems pretty strange as well - a wildfire in Dec - in the northern hemisphere?

I know there's an El Nino and all, but simultaneous floods, heat waves, and fires in both the northern and southern hemispheres! What's going on?

December Tornado

by dan, Monday, December 28, 2015, 07:25 (3035 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yeah, and there was another big storm in Texas today, killing at least 11 more people. It's truly phenomenal. California saw horribly destructive fires in Oct/Nov I think it was. They wiped out entire towns.

It hit at least 30C here today.

Here's one. I talked with my mom this morning. She's in Ohio. She said when she got up at 4am it was 65F or 18C, another record. When I talked with her at 10am or something, it was 55F or 12C. They were predicting the low tonight to hit 35F or 1C. A drop of 35F/17C in a matter of hours.

The areas that were hit by tornadoes yesterday got blizzards today.

We live in interesting meteorological times!

December Tornado

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, December 28, 2015, 09:45 (3035 days ago) @ dan

Tonadoes one day, blizzards the next! That's amazing. Sounds like a one-stop shop for storm chasers.

I see 2015 is destined to be the hottest year since... last year. Thus breaking the record. And 2016 is predicted to be hotter again.

Are we getting near a tipping point?

I guess your mom is an early riser - 4am!? But that's an incrredible temp swing.

I'm not an expert on the Californian bushfire season, but having worked at a firefighter in Australia for 5 years i know the season generally runs from Dec-Feb. You can get the odd fire either side of that in a bad year (this year for example it started in Oct), but never in the middle of winter.

I've heard that climate change has impacted California a lot - but to have bushfires continuing through fall and winter? God help them when summer comes.

December Tornado

by dan, Tuesday, December 29, 2015, 10:01 (3034 days ago) @ dulan drift

Holy shit. You're earlier question regarding whether we're getting near a tipping point seems now to be, have we reached it? We all know that history repeats itself, but we're now experiencing something that has no historical reference, in the modern sense of the word. Take the word 'collapse' for example. It implies an unforeseen event. It's entirely possible that we're missing one or more elements in our environmental equations that could lead to sudden and catastrophic collapse.

Another analogy might be an illness response. If the planet is indeed an organism, then what we're experiencing might be equivalent to an immunity or autoimmune response. Sweating. Fighting off the bad guys. Vomiting and shaking perhaps. I won't say I like being that sick, but such episodes have been memorable experiences and not entirely bad.

RSS Feed of thread