World Drought (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, June 28, 2015, 09:38 (3225 days ago)

So, it's not just Taidong that is suffering from dry, baking conditions. This map shows the extent of world-wide drought conditions. I had assumed that rising sea levels would be the biggest adverse effect from climate change but widespread drought is potentially more disastrous.

If significant sections of the world start to run out of water then that's gonna create some serious conflict. We can get by without most things, but not water.

[image]

World Drought

by dan, Monday, June 29, 2015, 03:33 (3224 days ago) @ dulan drift

I was glad we were out of Kaohsiung when they had water rationing. I can't imagine a city that size running out of water. That's one thing about cities. When the flow of services gets disrupted, it makes a huge difference in your environment. Being without electricity for a day or two in the country would be an inconvenience with regards to getting water out of your well, but otherwise it would feel largely like life as normal. Shut the juice off to a major city, and it's downright frightening.

World Drought

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, June 29, 2015, 10:13 (3224 days ago) @ dan

Acoording to the map it seems not too bad in your neck of the woods. However, the west coast is a different story and it seems it's turning into a permanent state of affairs over there.

Probably the most dire situation though will turn out to be Africa, where they lack the resources to deal with it. They better start writing another one of those 'Feed the World' songs.

RSS Feed of thread