Mei Yu 2015 (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, May 18, 2015, 21:04 (3266 days ago)

According to CWB, the Mei Yu officially started on May 2, but it looks like the first 'real' front is going to form over Taiwan on Wednesday. The rains will be welcome. It should then overstay its welcome by hanging around all week - as any self-respecting mei yu front should do. Expect some big rains in the north west especially and lots of thunder and lightning action. The south and the south east might have to wait a couple more days.

Also, a 'strong' El Nino event has been declared for 2015. Tried researching the effect of that on the mei yu and apparently the link is unclear. In theory it should weaken the mei yu but there have been several exceptions.

As for typhoons, the last strong El Nino was in 1997, and that saw a record number of typhoons form, though only one made landfall in Taiwan - most seemed to head north.

[image]

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, May 19, 2015, 21:23 (3265 days ago) @ dulan drift

Here it comes!

[image]

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dan, Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 01:27 (3265 days ago) @ dulan drift

SW Taiwan sure needs water.

Meanwhile in Florida, I heard a local in a gas station claim that in a week or two, we'd be able to set our watches by the daily afternoon showers. This part of Florida is also known for extreme lightning.

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, May 21, 2015, 09:30 (3263 days ago) @ dan

Yes, those afternoon thunderstorms are about the only thing i miss from Taipei.

Meanwhhile, the the whole Mei Yu show has moved camp down to your old stomping ground and it looks like the south west is going to cop it today. I can hear the thunder rumbling from here but we've had no real rain so far.
The forecast chart below show the front starting to tilt up the east coast in a couple of days time - that could be when we get out serve.

[image]

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dan, Saturday, May 23, 2015, 08:38 (3261 days ago) @ dulan drift

Wow! Dawu Shan in Pingtung has gotten nearly 300mm in the last couple of days. That's certainly significant. They need it. There was one year we were living in Pingtung and the Meiyu rains hit well over 2000mm over a couple of weeks. When it rains, it pours.

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, May 23, 2015, 14:48 (3261 days ago) @ dan

This could be one of those years! The front seems to have stubbornly stuck in its southerly position - and is forecast to stay there for another week. The 'tilt' thing also seems to be happening today where the front is to the south of Taiwan and then curves up the east coast. That's about the only way the south east coast can get serious mei yu falls.

It was bright sunshine this morning but has been raining steadily most of the afternoon. Nothing dramatic yet but it may build. It certainly looks like a helluva storm on the radar.

So how did it go with your house - dare i ask? Does it have a guest room?

[image]

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dan, Sunday, May 24, 2015, 05:26 (3260 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yep, Kao-Ping is in for it.

We're in the house and should close within the month. It's actually four different properties in two counties, making things a bit more complicated, but it's worth the effort. Lots of huge trees, and, yes, two guest rooms on the first floor, aka, the man cave. (It's a stilt house with an enclosed first floor.) Very neat area. Flat, but with lots of lakes, the ocean 30 minutes away, and lots and lots of green. Come visit! (No furniture yet, but there are weekly auctions.)

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, May 24, 2015, 08:06 (3260 days ago) @ dan

Congrats! That's great news! I've got vague plans of going to Sth America at some stage - your place would be the perfect launching pad.

The 'big downpour' hasn't eventuated yet in Taidong. Today could be the last chance for a while though next week CWB has the front splitting with half lying to the south east and half to the west - wonder if we will get the 'sandwich effect'.

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, May 24, 2015, 21:06 (3260 days ago) @ dulan drift

735 mil and counting in Taiwu, Pingdong over last three days, including 300 mil today. Also big fall in Kaohsiung.

Moving to the north now with Tainan and Jiayi copping it.

Picking up in Taidong but i can still hear the TV. (When the rain on the roof drowns it out i know we're at full throtle)

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dan, Monday, May 25, 2015, 04:53 (3259 days ago) @ dulan drift

Sounds like a full on Meiyu. As destructive as it's sure to be, they sure need it. In all the years I lived in that area, they never shut water off until these past few months.

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, May 25, 2015, 07:39 (3259 days ago) @ dan

I think they can turn it back on now. We're up to 800 mm for places in Pingdong for the last three days and that's gonna go over 1000 before today is finished judging from the radar. In fact it looks like this could be the worst day.

[image]

[image]

Mei Yu 2015

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 19:01 (3236 days ago) @ dulan drift

Just now we are stuck right where the action isn't. If you went 200k north or south then it would be bucketing down.
Apart from one week nearly a month ago, the Mei Yu front has stubbornly held it's position just north of Taiwan. It's forecast to dip down a bit towards Taipei and it should bring the chance of storms on Friday night through to Sunday, but it continues to look grim for the south east. Or great - if you like your weather hot and fucking sunny. The only hope for relief is some drift up from the Ppe.

[image]

[image]

RSS Feed of thread