Albo knee-bows to Xi (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, November 13, 2022, 19:13 (524 days ago) @ dulan drift

But still gets blown off ...

In a new sign the severely strained relationship between Australia and China is getting back on track, Albanese said he had a "very positive" chat with Premier Li Keqiang, the second most powerful man in the country.
The pair spoke for two minutes through interpreters after arriving at the gala dinner in Phnom Penh, in what is the most significant meeting between Australia and China for three years.

This subsets with Dan's Questionable Headlines thread - but Australia is prostrating itself before a human rights abusing totalitarian regime - on the world stage - this somehow, this two minutes through interpreters is trumpeted as a diplomatic victory? That's one minute each - minus half of that for the interpreters, so 30 seconds.

A few days ago MSM was saying Albo was meeting with Xi on the sidelines of the G20 or the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum

Albo: I think there is a great deal of goodwill here, certainly from Australia. I have no reason to think there's not goodwill on the Chinese side as well.

Probably should've. Xi predictably blew him off.

Xi Jinping is keeping Anthony Albanese guessing about whether he will grant him a rare meeting next week, notably omitting the prime minister from a list of leaders he will meet during two high-powered Asian summits.

As you would if you're Xi - we don't need to meet the grovelling grubs - they're already where we want them.

For the record, he is meeting with US, Argentina, France, & African Union - which gives you an idea of how Xi sees Africa - one country.

Anyway, typical Xi-style, he is still dangling the possibility that he may deign to meet with other leaders upon request.

Meanwhile Albo was defiantly upbeat, hailing his 2 minutes with a translator with Li Kechiang as a big success:

I think it's a good thing that happened. I've said repeatedly about the relationship with China, that we should cooperate where we can, and that dialogue is always a good thing. And last night's dialogue was very positive.

Edit: After keeping Albo on the hook, Xi finally granted him a meeting. Whereas Biden brought up Taiwan, HK, Xinjiang, Tibet, and coercive economic practices used by China, Albo said 'There are no preconditions' in his talks. Albo has made it clear he is not gonna say boo re any of Xi's human rights abuses - it's all about begging China to take our wine and beef - & other non-essential products. (note: they never banned iron-ore)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread