The aftermath (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, June 07, 2022, 06:51 (660 days ago) @ dulan drift

Paul Harding, Goodna (west of Brisbane): As soon as day 10 hit, everything was gone, everything just stopped.

Food drops stopped without notice, there was a portaloo on the street and it was taken away, and no-one gave us the heads-up. You don't hear anything. You don't know what's going on. You don't know what the next step is.

[You] definitely feel abandoned. I think everyone in Goodna is feeling that way.

There are 15 houses in the street — there's only three of them occupied at the moment. The adrenaline has worn off, the positivity has worn off. It's very hard to stay motivated … that 'yes, we can get through this' — it's all starting to eat away at you mentally.

Svea Pitman, Mullumbimby: I'm a single mum. I struggled to get out of the rental market and now I own a home I can't live in.

Since then we've moved to a converted shed, an Airbnb, we spent six days in a tent over Easter because there was nowhere to put us at all.

I've just managed to extend my home loan to get a motorhome and I'm now living in the gutter outside the front of my old house. I've cried every day for 100 days.

I've noticed since moving back to Aus, if you don't live in a big city, you don't count.

You find you're paying sky-high 1st-world prices for basic services, but getting 3rd-world delivery. The roads are full of giant potholes (that's even before the floods), electricity, internet goes out at the drop of a hat - with no explanation except a robo-telephone response telling you:
the estimated time of restoration is: unknown

That's a giant fuck-you from the authorities. Since the floods, the internet has been out twice more, and the electricity has gone off twice - for extended periods. Services are getting progressively whittled down but meanwhile prices are going up!

ABC: Rain, wind, storms and machinery have all impacted the Essential Energy power lines connecting Tottenham, Tullamore and Trundle, leaving the towns without electricity 10 times in the past year.

Gary Brown: It used to take a few hours to go out and now it's almost immediately when the power goes out, the phones and internet go out. We can't dial triple-0. We can't dial anything. We've got nothing. You can't get an ambulance or you can't get a fire brigade.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread