Dodgy Data on Indian Variant (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, May 23, 2021, 08:36 (1069 days ago) @ dulan drift

Here's another deliberately misleading report from the BBC.
Sub-headline:The Pfizer and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccines are highly effective against the variant identified in India after two doses, a study has found.

Thank God! Here i was worried that AZ in particular wouldn't work against a range of new variants - not just the SA one.

BBC: However, both vaccines were only 33% effective against the Indian variant three weeks after the first dose.

Oh, 33% is low - but that's only one dose.

BBC: Given (the Indian variant) is expected to become the dominant variant in the UK, it's now even more important people get their second jab.

Makes sense on the surface, but then towards the bottom of the article we get this:

BBC: There is not enough data to estimate how effective the vaccine is against severe outcomes for the Indian variant, PHE (Public Health England) said.

So if there's not enough data, why are are you trumpeting that it's effective?

Dr Jamie Lopez Bernal, epidemiologist at PHE, study's lead author: There are bigger numbers that have been vaccinated with one dose. So I think we classify that (33%) as moderate certainty around the first dose, but low levels of confidence around the second dose.

Hang on - didn't you just say it's "highly effective" after two doses? But even the lead author says there are "low levels of confidence around the second dose"?

C'mon guys - this is using your mega-media platforms to spread vaccine disinformation - which as we pointed out - is very dangerous, irresponsible behaviour.

Rick Bright, virologist: I believe we do great harm with influenza. We propagate influenza because we’re chasing next year’s virus, with a vaccine that was designed against viruses that were circulating one to two years ago. The influenza vaccines are partially effective. When you’re partially effective, you’re just driving that virus to continue to change. (Note: Bright has some disturbing ideas re genomic surveillance on how to combat this - but i'll leave that for another post.)

So here's an alternative headline that better reflects the truth of the study's findings:

Low level of confidence around 2-jab effectiveness of AZ/Pfizer against Indian variant - study

Scientists warn partially effective vaccines are precipitating a nightmare scenario of super-bug generation by "driving the virus to continue to change".

Of course that headline is not gonna happen - but it's true.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread