80% chance of rain? (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, March 18, 2012, 19:09 (4414 days ago) @ dan

I'd say 'the cat did it'.

i was pretty impressed with that rain prediction by CWB - and i'm not impressed that often by them. In fact, I would be interested to know how they did it. There didn't seem to be anything in the pressure charts, the sat, or even the radar (until it was actually happening) to indicate that it was going to rain. In previous years there has been one or two events like that around this time - kind of like a thunder and lightning storm but without the thunder and lightning - and not apparently caused by a low pressure to the south of us, which is the usual case (though i just noticed that there is something forming mid-east ppe now).

In the end, we did get a few short sharp downpours in XC that night - but still only 16ml in total, then another couple of ml the next day - nothing like the amounts you got just up the road.

Went to have afternoon tea at an expensive ming su this afternoon - that would have to be a weather watcher's paradise - full uninterupted panoramic views up and down the coast and way up high - i'd say about 5-600 m above sea level - at one stage there were blue skies to the north and rain to the south - and we seemed to be standing right on the crest of it - and then some more patches of blue sky to the west where the afternoon sun was peaking through. And you could see it changing dramatically even as you watched. It's definitely worth taking a drive up that road to check it out. With all your land searching, you've probably been up there - it's the turn off to the dulan mountain trail, but right at the bottom, just near 11, it forks - the one i went up is to the left - the right one goes to the hiking trail - ashamed to say i have never been up it, but no doubt that's also similarly spectacular.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread