Hysteria 2020 (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 08:19 (1451 days ago) @ dan

So the question is, why is there such a political rush to shut the world down when this thing is, let's face it, just not that deadly? Or do they know something we don't?

Yes, you're right, hysteria is not quite the right word - i don't see any people behaving in an hysterical way on the streets - it's almost the opposite here. Although there are rumblings of unrest in America, in Australia it's pretty much tame compliance - most of the anger is at people who don't comply - i wish there was a bit more blow-back. However, what i'm driving at is the phenomenon of a single issue consuming so much attention at the same time - whether people support the measures taken or not they are all thinking about it. My brother used to say that mental telepathy must be crap otherwise why don't football refs shrivel up and die on the spot when a stadium full of rabid fans is screaming vitriol at them? But i still wonder if there is some psychological effect from all of humanity being focused on the one thing at the same time.

Perhaps the point is better expressed as to why has there been such a radical, seemingly irrational world-wide government instituted over-reaction to what amounts to a nasty flu. I think we're on the same page in that we don't mean to be flippant - but the reaction is way out of whack with how we have dealt with equally nasty diseases before. By all means protect the vulnerable - but a worldwide lockdown with all the repercussions of that? It doesn't make sense.

But as a friend of mine used to like saying 'Everything can be understood' - it's just a matter of seeing it from different perspectives. So for someone, the CCP for example, maybe engendering fear amongst the population on the back of which state control can be ramped up 'to protect us' makes perfect sense. For politicians that like being on TV a lot it makes sense.

As for the obesity thing - i've never been to the States but friends come back with similar stories - as well as an alarming degree of visible poverty which surprised me - i always thought of America as a wealthy country. How do you think that might tie in to what's happening?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread