hornets (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, September 30, 2011, 17:10 (4584 days ago) @ dan

I'm planning to suit up and get down there and film it, but don't know how long i will last or whether there is much point coz it needs to be done at night time and my night time vision on my handcam is not great. He has told me that they will swarm over my body - not looking forward to that part.

As far as i know, there are three dangerous varieties.
1. tu fong (ground hornet, Asian giant hornet) - builds its nest on the ground, orange and brown with an orange face. This is the largest hornet in the world. Don't know if there are differences between the Japanese variety and the Taiwan one, but they look similar - the picture you posted is the Asian giant hornet.

2. hu tou fong (tiger head hornet). Considerably smaller than the tu fong, but looks similar so far as coloring goes

3. hei hu tou fong (black tiger head hornet) Similar shape to no. 2 but no orange - almost looks like a large fly. Will swarm over a person that disturbs their nest, or even just wanders too close. Known to spit venom into the eyes. This is the kind that i have at present. Will attack within 300 m of nest.

All three have a rather fat body shape without the distinct head, thorax, abdomen divisions that you see with a wasp. There is also a fairly large, common hornet around here that is chocolate brown in color and does have that distinct separated shape - that is relatively harmless - at least not aggresive.

Have got some photos of the nest but my memory card reader is acting up again. Will put them up when i get it sorted.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread